Behind Every Front Door Campaign
Behind every front door is a story of home...
Everyone should have a safe place to call home, especially now. Due to this challenging year, and particularly as we face the upcoming holiday season, we are very aware of the many neighbors in Charlotte who still need our help to ensure their home is a healthy and safe place to stay.
Together we can have the greatest possible impact in our community. Working with community leaders and local residents, we can make a difference in the lives of our neighbors in need through home repairs that increase safety, improve physical and mental health, foster independence, and improve upward mobility and community.
This holiday season, we are asking you to give the gift of a safe and healthy home. Your investment changes the lives of our neighbors in need during these challenging times. As a [Re]Builder you are supporting critical repairs for our low-income families who are struggling with the health and safety implications of living in a hazardous home.
Every donation makes a difference! Our average per home investment for materials and contracted labor is $20,000, but a contribution at any level can have a significant impact on the health and safety of our neighbors.
Here's what your support can do!
- $25 gift provides a gallon of mildew/mold protective paint. Children living in poorly maintained homes are at higher risk for lead exposure, which can cause behavioral and learning problems.
- $100 gift installs grab bars to prevent slips and falls in the bathroom. Approximately 3 million older adults are hospitalized for their injuries from slips and falls each year.
- $500 gift replaces old raggedy carpeting and helps cover the cost of durable, easy-to-clean flooring to remove harmful allergens and tripping hazards.
- $1,000 gift helps to keep a neighbor warm through the winter with hot water for bathing. The recommended life of a hot water heater is only 10 years.
- $5 gift installs LED lightbulbs throughout a home. Since many seniors experience declining vision, poor lighting can increase the risk of trip hazards on rugs and other obstacles in darkened hallways.
- $10 gift installs a chair height toilet. Higher toilets reduce stress on joints and help occupants transfer on and off with greater ease.
- $50 gift replaces a broken appliance. Working and efficient kitchen appliances help families cook safely at home.
- $100 gift installs GFCI electrical outlets. Electrical problems may cause fires resulting in injury or death. The U.S. Fire Administration estimates that eleven percent of fatal fires in residential homes are caused by electrical malfunctions.
- $250 gift covers the costs of labor to replace a leaking roof. Watertight roofs are vital to controlling moisture, which leads to a host of hazards to occupants’ health.
Thank you for your support!
For a closer look at the impact of our work, please take about 10 minutes to watch this short film that captures a year of our Building a Healthy Neighborhood program. We are so grateful to Elyse Williams, Amy Campbell, Jim Lay, and the creatives at EAW Productions for their incredible generosity in donating their time considerable talents to highlight the work of Rebuilding Together of Greater Charlotte.